Exceptional legal acumen advising clients on the regulation of foreign investment into Australia
HopgoodGanim Lawyers brings expertise providing FIRB legal advice, with FIRB lawyers experienced in FIRB approvals, FIRB applications, negotiating FIRB fees and applying legislation for businesses and investors.
As international investors increasingly look to Australia for investment opportunities and asset acquisitions, it is essential they seek expert advice on their obligations under Australia’s foreign investment laws and approvals processes.
Our national cross-disciplinary team advises on foreign investment across mining, commercial and property-related transactions, leveraging broad experience across corporate advisory, resources and energy, mergers and acquisitions, real estate, finance and taxation.
HopgoodGanim has a strong track record of obtaining foreign investment approvals and interacting with the Foreign Investment Review Board (FIRB).
Regulatory requirements continue to evolve, with notification obligations applying under the Australian Government’s Register of Foreign Ownership of Australian Assets (Australian Register). Foreign government investors, such as state-owned enterprises and sovereign wealth funds, are required to meet strict approval and notification conditions.
Our team delivers pragmatic and relevant advice to clients. We assist investors and businesses with handling complex legal matters and enquiries about foreign investment in Australia, explaining obligations, compliance requirements and fees and penalties that can apply with breaches.
- Advising foreign investors on how foreign investment laws in Australia may impact on decision making in a merger, acquisition or takeover in Australia.
- Preparing foreign investment applications to the FIRB and providing guidance on the foreign investment approvals process.
- Liaising and, if required, negotiating with FIRB in relation to foreign investment applications or discreet foreign investment issues.
- Advising Australian companies with significant foreign shareholdings on their obligations under Australia’s foreign investment laws.
- Advising foreign state-owned enterprises looking to invest in Australia on FIRB’s policy on investments by state-owned enterprises and how FIRB applies the national interest test to such enterprises.
HopgoodGanim was proudly ranked by Doyle's Guide as a Leading Corporate Law Firm in Queensland, 2017–2023 and Western Australia, 2018–2021. HopgoodGanim was proudly included in Doyle's Guide as a Leading Property & Real Estate Law Firm Queensland, 2017-2023 and Western Australia 2019-2020.